Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Maybe I should just keep it a secret.

I sing to the dogs. I have the worst singing voice, but the dogs are pretty tolerant. Along with giving everyone’s dog a nickname, I sing to them. I have my basic repertoire of Roger and Hammerstein musicals, Beatles tunes, the theme songs to pretty much anything on Nickelodeon, and Christmas carols. See, I have a useless ability to remember song lyrics. I can’t remember anybody’s name, but I can get through at least two verse of any song from memory. You won’t be able to recognize the tune when I sing it, but I do have all the words right.


Usually, I pick a song that has their name in it. Penny gets ‘Pennies from Heaven’ and ‘Penny Lane’ thought that one tends to get stuck in a verse loop. For Blue, I tried ‘Am I Blue’ but that didn’t fit any better than trying to call her a Blue Meanie from Yellow Submarine. (Not a mean bone in that dogs body.)

And then there is BB. I like to call her BeBe, baby in French. And she gets serenaded with an off keep rendition of ‘Baby Love’ whenever I am trying to get her back into her kennel. This entails a number of high speed fly by’s before she decides, “oh yeah, I can go in now.”


This morning, I was singing inside the kennel building while getting all the doggies their breakfasts. One major problem with my kennel building is a lack of sound proofing on the inside. When the dogs get going, we are clearly above any OSHA standard requiring ear protection. (But, don’t rat me out) What I discovered this morning is that I sound great in there, it is like I have back up singers. Forget the shower, sing in the kennel. Besides, dogs will put up with anything if you are the one doling out the kibble.

1 comment:

Sharon Fernleaf said...

Erica and the gang are hilarious!
I love the daily stories of Yawning Dog Ranch. Great way to start the day--with a smile.