Wednesday, July 04, 2007

I am having another weird calendar week

It is the Fourth of July and I have empty kennels. That is pretty weird. Actually, I have had the 3rd and the 4th open all along. It is this weekend that has been sold out since May. I had a waiting list of seven dogs long when I stopped adding to it. That turned out to be a mistake.

I had a cancellation last week and I started calling the wait list, most people had made other arrangements. That in itself was weird, most times people cancel their arrangements and bring the dog here if I get an opening. But in the end, I filled the slot with Tessie.

Only, it turns out the Tessie was already on the calendar for this weekend. I only noticed this double booking on Sunday. So someone calls and I once again have a full kennel and tell anyone who calls that I have confirmed everyone for this week and I don't bother to write down anyone on the wait list. (besides the bottom of the calendar page doesn't have anymore room for wait list entries)

This is when the unexpected started to happen. BB got picked up on Tuesday instead of Sunday. And then the dog that I had gotten in to fill Tessie's second kennel canceled on me.

So here I am with 2 empty kennels on the one weekend that was so solid I wasn't taking anymore names, trying to wrack my brain and remember the names of the dogs or owners that called recently. Not much luck there.

The owner of another dog that is due this morning, called last week and I have been trying to call them back with no answer. I tried again last night and their phone number is disconnected. I am thinking that will be one more empty kennel.

This is the problem with having to say 'no' all the time. People stop trying. We will see if I get any calls today from last minute travelers.

Either the Doggie Karma will prevail and I will fill back up or I am going to get a vacation this week.

No comments: