Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Are we there yet?

I am facing a very long drive from Utah to Chicago this summer. Not only is the drive long, but I am taking my kids with me. (24 hours of driving) I never really did the 'pile the kids in the car and go cross country' family trips when I was a kid. And I have never done with my kids. My kids complain that the drive is too long when we go to Walmart. I suspect that this trip is going to get ugly, pretty quickly too.

The last time I drove all the way home, I was pregnant with my daughter and we took the dogs with us. That was a long drive home. I needed to stop every two hours to pee, and so did Inertia. She doesn't do well in the car. She paces; all 110 pounds of her, shedding and pacing around the inside of a car. It is not a pretty picture. I even gave her the front seat and sat in the back with Vector. Nothing helps her. She is only happy when acting like a Labrador air bag and lying against the driver's chest.

Vector, however, is a really excellent car dog. She sleeps or looks out the window. She is just happy that she is getting to go too.


Having driven my kids to 'the big city', that would be Provo. I learned that my kids match my dogs for their car trip temperament. The big sister is a wiggler, a complainer, a 'this is too long of a ride' kid, and I am sure she would walk around the car if she wasn't strapped down. The little brother is a great rider. He looks out the window and is just happy to be allowed to come along.

So we are off this June, wish us luck. I'd take the dogs, but they aren't as easily captivated by a DVD.

Oh, in case you were wondering, my four legged kids will be staying at my kennel when I am gone. See, even I trust The Yawning Dog Ranch to watch my kids.

No comments: