Monday, October 30, 2006

Pumpkin Chucking!

I spent the day down in Moab witnessing the First Annual Pumpkin Chucking Competition. Open to both sling shots and trebuchets.

Now, this is not normally a sport I follow, but my husband has his engineering students building catapults this semester. CEU set down 5 teams, 4 trebuchets and a sling shot. The pumpkin flying was amazing to watch as was the trebuchets self destructing. It is the height of engineering skills to be able to throw a pumpkin, wreck your catapult, and then rebuild it in time to throw again. I was truly impressed.

As you probably know, Moab is a dog kinda town. And this event was no different almost as many dogs as kids. I was a little worried about the 'pumpkin chucking' turning into 'pumpkin fetch'. Does having a dog retrieve your tossed pumpkin affect your overall distance score? I didn't get a chance to ask the judges about that. I can report that indeed many pumpkins were injured, but no dogs were lost. Though I did see a Corgie dining on pumpkin guts.

No comments: