Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Starry, Starry Night

It is a gorgeous night last night. I got home late with my son from his karate class. It was way past his bedtime and I had forgotten to turn on the outside lights. Good thing, we got a treat of seeing the Milky Way and a couple of bazillion stars.

I am out in the dark all the time with bedtime dog duty. This was a particularly pretty night. There was no moon and only the light from my house and the neighbors to mess up my viewing. The stars were so bright, they seemed really close. I even spotted a planet; I just don’t know which one, something to the southwest rising over my bluff.


I know that we only see the Milky Way in the winter, but I didn’t realize that it would be here so soon. It was going across the sky NE to SW generally. I seem to remember it more north-south. Either it moves a lot or my memory is shot. I am going to have to look this one up or wait and watch all winter.



I have seen some fun things hanging out in the dark with the doggies. I saw a meteor crash somewhere up Spring Canyon. To bad there was no way of finding it. And one time I spotted what I thought had to be Air Force One flying overhead. You don’t often see a regular airliner flanked by jets. I googled the President’s schedule and found out that Laura Bush had landed in California that night. So maybe I was right.

No comments: