Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Who has been sleeping in my bed.

As I mentioned before, we have bought the dogs their very own beds, with the hope of reclaiming our own.

I know some people are wondering why sleeping with the dog is bad. Sleeping with kids is not much better. I am actually starting to wonder about sharing with my husband. Maybe Rob and Laura Petrie may have had the right idea with the separate beds.

The advantages to sleeping with the dog is the heat. The disadvantage can also be the heat.
There are some other problems with dogs in your bed, I have named them:

Canine Migration
If you ever get out of bed for a trip to the bathroom, deal with baby, or talk a toddler back into bed; you know where the dog moved to - your spot.

Canine encroachment
If you don't get out, you will get moved over. My dog, Inertia, is the queen of canine encroachment. She starts on my husband's right and whenever he rolls over she matches him and fills the space he just left. On an average night, Inertia can claim half of king size bed with both of us squished into my side.

The Blanket Pin
This is Vector's specialty. She always manages to get some portion of my blanket under her butt. And always in such a way as to leave me with a cold air gap on the other side.

Up Means Out
Back to getting out of bed. To my dogs, me being up means that they should get to go out. That is some serious midnight mileage in this house. All the way downstairs and around to the front of the house. I am not up for that much exercise in the daylight, no way in the dark. I am convinced that my dogs have learned to fake a throwing up sound, so that my husband will leap out of bed and let them out.

Don't Go Back to Bed without Me
And of course, if you did make the round trip to the front door and back to bed. The dogs will want to come back in just after you dosed off.

I guess you are stuck with the last two whether or not you share your bed with the dogs. But I will warn you now, if you let them head up the stairs first, you are going to have canine migration on your hands.

No comments: