Tuesday, April 25, 2006

So, tell me your name again.

I ran into a client at McDonald's the other day. She was asking if July fourth is already full. No, not yet. And I asked her who her dogs are. Chico. Big, black poodle - Chico? (I have 4 or 5 Chicos.)

I then I started to laugh, her other dog is named Sophie. But for the two weeks that Chico and Sophie stayed with me at Christmas, I called her Joan. I remember thinking that was the dumbest dog name I had ever heard. It wasn't old fashioned enough to be a good dog name. For gosh sakes, people are still running around with the name Joan. It was just wrong.

It didn't fit the dog, either.

Well, I found out Sophie's real name when her owners got back from their trip. Joan, it turns out, is her mother's name. When I asked, "what's her name?" I had meant the dog, not the human dropping her off. But 'Joan' she was to me for two weeks. I must have just driven that dog nuts.

I forgot to asked, does the dog come when you call your mother?

2 comments:

Sharon Fernleaf said...

I have a friend who named her cat Phyllis :) thanks for consistent smiles with your blog...

yawningdog said...

See that fits the pattern. Good dog names are human names that have fallen out of fashion. Sophie, Sadie, Maggie, Molly, Maddie, Eddy, Otto, Sam, Max, Gus.